Five Reasons Why You Should Let Renters Help Pay Your Mortgage
September 7 2018 Posted by
Are you a savvy homebuyer? Then let renters help pay your mortgage. Recently Canada Mortgage and House Corporation (CMHC) announced that when qualifying for a mortgage, homeowners could now count all of the income from their legal secondary unit(s) instead of the previous 50 per cent, making it easier to qualify and giving this home buying option a boost.
Whether you’re a first-time homebuyer feeling your way into the housing market or an existing one looking to lower your mortgage payment, here are five reasons why having renters help pay your mortgage is such an appealing option:
- Some first-time buyers want to move directly into a single-family home and get mortgage assistance using a rental suite instead of purchasing a condo at a lower cost.
- If you want to get your foot into the world of real estate without breaking the bank, a home with a rental suite can be a great start, especially if the area you happen to love is pricey.
- Homeowners looking ahead to the future may want to lower their mortgage cost so they can channel money into other investment areas like RRSPs, TFSAs, RESPs. Or simply as a way to become mortgage free sooner!
- Spending less on your mortgage can give you the freedom to change your lifestyle or follow your dreams, perhaps to travel, start a new business venture, or allow for the luxury of having a stay at home parent.
- Rental suites are also great if you have ageing parents. You can keep them close without infringing on personal space. Keep in mind that if tenants are family members, lenders and insurers will not use the rental income for qualifying purposes.
Ready to become a savvy homeowner and let renters help pay your mortgage? Talk to me today and find out how!